BCIT Magazine:Technical Director
From Broadcast & Media Communications
Set Up - Before The Show
TV Studio 2
Remote camera: CTL #1, CTL #2 or the Main VTR Room.
At The Front Door / Rear Door Of The Broadcast Centre
Video Patching In Central Equipment Racks
Description Source Destination “Color Bars” DA 5 – 6 (CER) SWR 1 I/P 5 Sting Camera in Studio 2 Studio 2, Flr Box L-1 SWR 2 I/P 4 Camera at Back Door Rear Door L-1 SWR 2 I/P 5 Camera in TV Control 1 Vid Cont 1 L-1 SWR 2 I/P 5 Camera in Main VTR Room VTR L-1 SWR 2 I/P 5 Camera in TV Studio 3 TV Std 3 Fax-1 SWR 2 I/P 5 Camera at Front Door Front Door L-1 SWR 2 I/P 6 Camera in Hallway outside Room 240, through TV Control 2 Vid Cont 2 L-1 SWR 2 I/P 6
Audio Patching In Central Equipment Racks
- Refer to Audio Patching in CER
Facs Check List For BCIT Magazine
- Set(s) are set-up in studio and / or on location.
- Lighting completed and checked.
- Cameras set-up and cabled to control room and / or Fly Pack.
- Teleprompter System on and displaying the show’s script on the cameras’ teleprompter displays
- Video return monitors on, and titled program routed to them
- ( Note: There are no video return monitors, at present with the Fly Pack )
- Level of the studio and live hit audio fold back set.
- ( Note: There is no audio fold back speaker with the Fly Pack ).
- Mic lights tested and auto audio fold back level drop / increase circuit.
- ( Note: There are no mic lights with the Fly Pack ).
- Microphones set-up and cabled to control room and / or Fly Pack.
- Intercom set-up and cabled to control room and / or Fly Pack.
- IFB Ear Sets setup and cabled to the control room
- ( Note: We do not have IFB capability for the Fly Pack ).
- Cameras are timed and phased to the control room
- ( Note: We do not need to time and phase the HD cameras to the Fly Pack ).
- All cameras are colour matched.
- All microphones to the control room and / or Fly Pack tested.
- Intercom stations to Control Rooms Intercom Stations and / or Fly Pack tested.
- IFB Ear Sets tested from the Control Rooms ( Director’s and Audio Operator’s Intercom Stations ).
- Color bars with the show title slate keyed from the character generator, and Tone set at 0 VU routed to:
- Record DVCAM Decks (tone set to -20 digital)
- VTR 10 ( for Streaming )
- VTR 14 ( Omneon Recorder / Player 1 )
- and / or the record DVCAM Deck and DVD Recorder in the Fly Pack. (tone set to -20 digital)
- Test recording and playback of the Color Bars with Slate and 0 VU Tone on the DVCAM Decks and VTR 14 (Omneon) confirmed.
- Test Livestream encoder:
- For Fly Pack, use Livestream Encoder to test streaming via Ethernet.
- For Studio Productions, do a short streaming test from VTR 10.
- Set the East Wall Monitor in the Lobby “A/V 1”
- in the Main VTR Room use one of the X / Y Router Panels to route “CG 1” to Monitor “Lob 60”
- Set the Audio Level on the East Wall Monitor to 40%.
- After above are completed, when talent is on-set, test mics, IFBs, Teleprompter displays, program video monitors & audio fold back speakers
- Full facs.
Before The Show
- Ensure all the Video & Audio patch cords are correctly patched in the Central Equipment Racks, TV Audio 2 and the Main VTR Room (coordinate with A1).
- Ensure Waveform Monitor and the Vector Scope inputs are selected to the “B” input
- So scopes display information from the Video Switcher’s “Preview Bus” output
- Ensure the Omneon Server and cameras have been timed and set up correctly and that all transitions work correctly BEFORE going to air.
- IE: No horizontal sync or sub carrier phase errors exist
- Remind the Record VTR Operator to turn their "VITC OFF / ON" switches to: “ON”.
- Check colour match for cameras 1 and 2 with CCU operator and camera operators.
- Check colour match on the sting camera and Live Hit cameras
- Check all the Server Clips ( Stories ) before they go to air, to ensure good technical quality.
- Ensure “FULL FAX” 15 minutes before rehearsals & Live-To-Tape, per the Crew Schedule created by the Television Producer.
During the Show
- Verify that the VTR Record & Streaming Operator has started recording on all “RECORD” DVD-R DVD’s, VTR’s, & Streaming one minute before show
- Monitor video signals for levels, cues the CCU operator and the audio operator to adjust levels as appropriate
After the Show
The TD is responsible for proper strike of the upstairs area:
- Ensure all the equipment is shut off.
- Ensure with the A1 that all Video & Audio patch cords are removed and stored
- Ensure all the routing switches are set to: “Black”
- Ensure all the Intercom Stations’ keys Settings are turned off.
- Ensure all equipment checked out for the show is returned to its storage place.
- Ensure all lights are switched off